Wednesday 17 April 2013

Going on a train journey


I do like a long train journey, the last one we did was a couple of years ago from London to Newcastle. On Friday we will take the train from London to Penzance – yeah.  I’m really excited – not been on the train to Cornwall before, as a family we used to drive but as it’s only the two of us and we are only going for a couple of days (Friday-Sunday) it worked out more efficient (not just the fuel price, it’s a 5½hr /330mile drive, we would have to have at least one stop, we’d share the driving, driving long distance can be stressful and tiring) so let the train take the strain – this is the a-a-ge of the train. 

This trip to Penzance is about relaxing, not thinking about work and watching rugby – DaddyHen is mad about it and especially likes to watch Jersey.  Hope to fit a seaside walk to two. 


 
Five hours on the train – what shall I do in that time; crochet (would have to be a one colour, not too big a project), knit (again would need to be portable – umm could knit some socks), read – book or ipad, listen to music, listen to a talking book, sleep, just watch the scenery out of the window or perhaps some of everything.

In previous years we would have taken a week holiday in February or March and then another at Easter or just after and our main holiday in September but this year we are having a short break and then holiday in September (details yet to be finalised). Really hoping that we will get a proper summer this year the last couple have been a real washout – and will do days out over the summer.
 
What are your plans for a holiday or short break? And what would you do on a 5 hour train journey?

MummyHen X

3 comments:

  1. Oh Penzance, one of my favourite places, have a wonderful time! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

    I would read on the journey and maybe look out the window a bit. If Mr Sft had his phone I would read blogs too.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there were more passenger trains here in the US. There are some but most only got to the bigger cities and I live in a rural area. I think a train ride somewhere would be wonderful. Have fun on your trip and I vote you do a little of everything. :)

    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would read, people watch and scenery watch.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete